Thursday 11 August 2016

Everyday People

I took the boys to a funeral today.

Our next-door neighbour James died, unexpectedly while on holiday from a heart attack.
We weren't close in the category of 'friends' but actually by being physically close to them in space, his death has affected us all just as much.
He wasn't 'an old friend' , 'a pal from college', 'an army mate', but just by living next door for 5 years, he was an un-noticed part of our lives.  We took this relationship forgranted, so that now when it has suddenly been removed, it is a shock that I just can't quite get my head around.

His daughter would come to our house before school in the morning, while her Mum & Dad left early for work.  As she is only 1 year older than Austin, they have been at school together for most of their lives, up until the break to senior school happened last year.  I lost my own Dad when I was 18.  She is just turning 13.  I know she will handle it ok, she has lots of family and caring folk around.

The funeral was great - he was typical Scot - you can't go round the house without sharing a drink, so after a chapel service and visit to the resting plot, everyone went to the local pub. 
Everyone was stunned, but also knew he would want there to be drinking and friendship. 
Wouldn't we all.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please write your feedback here, love to hear from you :)